Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr reunited for the second time in two nights on Monday (January 27) in Los Angeles during the taping of "The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute to the Beatles," which CBS will air on February 9 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the group's first appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show."
Fresh from her Grammy performance, Katy Perry will pay homage to The Beatles with a performance of “Yesterday.”
Her beau, John Mayer, will team up with Keith Urban on “Don’t Let Me Down,” while Maroon 5 will rock both “All My Loving” and “Ticket to Ride.” Eurythmics will also reunite for a performance of “Fool on the Hill.”
Also on the ticket are Ed Sheeran singing “In My Life,” Imagine Dragons on “Revolution,” Alicia Keys and John Legend collaborating on “Let It Be” and a Pharrell Williams-Brad Paisley duet on “Here Comes the Son.”
The living Beatles duo performed "With a Little Help From My Friends," which Starr sang on 1967's landmark "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album, and then led the entire all-star cast through the finale of "Hey Jude."
McCartney also played five Beatles songs -- "Magical Mystery Tour," "Birthday," "Get Back," "I Saw Her Standing There" and the "Sgt. Pepper's" title track -- with his own band, remembering for the audience that the Fab Four wasn't certain the Sullivan show was a good move when they were invited back in 1964.
After asking some American friends for their opinion, "They said, 'You don't understand the importance of 'The Ed Sullivan Show' in America.' And I didn't understand it then."
The full song list for the show, hosted by actor/rapper LL Cool J included:
- Maroon 5 - “All My Loving," “Ticket to Ride”
- John Mayer and Keith Urban - “Don't Let Me Down”
- Ed Sheeran - “In My Life”
- Alicia Keys and John Legend - “Let it Be”
- Imagine Dragons - “Revolution”
- Katy Perry - “Yesterday”
- Eurythmics - “Fool on the Hill”
- Pharrell Williams and Brad Paisley - “Here Comes the Sun”
- Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne - “Hey Bulldog”
- Joe Walsh and Jeff Lynne - “Something”
- Gary Clark Jr., Walsh and Grohl - “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”
- Stevie Wonder - “We Can Work It Out”
- Ringo Starr - “Match Box,” “Boys,” “Yellow Submarine”
- Paul McCartney - “Magical Mystery Tour,” “Birthday,” “Get Back,” “I Saw Her Standing There,” “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band”
- McCartney and Starr - “With a Little Help From My Friends”
- McCartney, Starr and ensemble - “Hey Jude”